TR4 Rear Seal

To: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Subject: TR4 Rear Seal
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:14:51 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i4EMGPvL029858
Message text written by "Kurtis"
>I seem to recall that by design (or due to lack of proper design) that the
rear seal on TR4 will leak if the car is driven up a steep grade.  I live
on
a mountain, and my normal route up the mountain includes a road with a
grade
in the 15% range.  Would this kind of grade typically produce leaking
around
the rear seal?
<

Just running the engine will throw oil around inside the engine.  If the
seal is going to leak it will leak on the level.  Parking it on a 15 degree
incline may make a difference since the oil level is normally below the
level of the seal but an incline may put the oil level above the seal and
oil will leak out just sitting there.

Dave