TR3 heater not spinning

To: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR3 heater not spinning
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 07:52:35 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i4FBtGvL024542
Message text written by richard triplett
>First question: Heater is not running. I actually
managed to get under the dash and remove protective
grille from heater and it appears the shaft on motor
that spins fan has quite a bit of verticle play (1/8th
to 1/4 inch). When pushing up on shaft, it spins
great. Let go and gravity does it's job and pulls
shaft down and motor stops spinning. Is this a
repairable part or will I have to swap out motors?
<

The fan blades are attached to the fan motor shaft by a compression nut
type connection and you can loosen the nut and slide the blades up and down
on the shaft to achieve a position where they do not bind up.  I did the
same thing to my TR3 a few years back.  I also found about a pound (1/2
kilo) of accumulated rust sludge in the core.  Due to the top connections
for the hoses the stuff just accumulates in there.  After about 1/2 hour of
flushing, back flushing, shaking and whapping it with the palm of my hand I
got most of it out and now the heater works great.

Dave Massey
57 TR3