RE: TR3 Tie Rod Ends - replacement

To: "Adrian Jones" <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Tie Rod Ends - replacement
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:04:05 -0400 from [4.12.36.162] at Tue, 18 May 2004 10:04:04 -0500
Adrian,
Go for it.  It is not a difficult job.  The toughest part is getting the tie
rod ends separated.  You'll need a tie rod tool.  There are several types.
I've found most anything works on LBCs.  Do not attempt to use a hammer on
the tie rod itself.  Bends parts, causes frustration and doesn't work.
Definitely take it directly to an alignment shop.  You can count the number
of threads as you unscrew the tie rod end, but that isn't very precise.
Pulling the apron isn't really necessary, but it does give great access.
Pete

Hi Folks,

Randall correctly diagnosed the photo as a gaiter that had fallen off off
one of them.  Since grit could have entered, it is wise to replace the tie
rod end.  While I'm at it,  I may as well replace all four.
I'm thinking of doing this myself rather than taking it to a shop.  Is it a
simple mattter of unbolting the old ones, putting in the new ones and
drawing up the lock-nuts to their original position?
I'm assuming I then take it to an alignment shop to ensure the alignment is
OK.
While I'm at it, I could also remove the idler bracket and attempt to clean
it out - at the moment I cannot get grease into it.  (The grease nipple is
not blocked).
I'm actually thinking of removing the front apron/radiator again as this
provided a most excellent view of things.
So - do you think I should go for it or take it to a LBC repair shop?

Regards,  Adrian TS58324