New TR4/4A door handles

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New TR4/4A door handles
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:29:36 -0700
List,

Just a quick comment about the new door handles and locks that are
available from TRF.  I got two new handles (one when I originally
ordered the pair, and the other one after it had been backordered for a
year and a half), which are listed as looking like the originals with
"slightly modified" internals.  "Slightly modified" doesn't really
describe them - they are missing the rotating door lock arm mechanism
(and the opening for the mechanism) that protrudes out of the back of
the lock housing that actually rotates to lock the door.  My solution
was to cannibalize my old door locks, and use the back plates and
locking arms from the old door locks.  Otherwise I don't see how you
would ever be able to unlock the door (once you locked it from the
inside, I suppose, since you can't apparently lock it either).

If I am missing something here, I'd love to know what it is.  Otherwise,
be aware that you probably need to have a second set of handles just to
scavenge from to make these work.

FWIW

Jeff Tedder
'66 & '67 TR4A