Stroboscopic Engine timing

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stroboscopic Engine timing
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 19:29:17 -0400
I had been looking for a reference stating what setting to use when setting
the timing using a stroboscopic timing light.  No answers were to be had.  One
source said that there was quite a bit of variability in the production
tolerances of the distributors, so adjusting the timing by driving was the
recommended procedure.

I recently found a source that had a good suggestion.  Instead of setting the
timing at idle the way we usually do, set it when the centrifugal advance and
vacuum advance are maxed out!  Then set the timing close to the MAXIMUM
desired advance.  30 degrees for the 4 cylinder cars would be a decent point,
there probably would be room for more advance to be added by the driving
technique.

To do this, you will need one of the "analyzer" timing lights that has a
setting to delay the flash a variable amount (in degrees).  You first watch
the timing mark move to greater advance as you raise the engine speed.
Observe the point at which it reaches the maximum.  This is the RPM you will
need to use when setting the advance.

Now dial-in the desired maximum advance on the  timing light and then adjust
the distributor so that the TDC marker is at the pointer.

Then observe the advance at idle.  There should be 15+ degrees less advance at
idle.  If not, then one of your advances is not working correctly.

Comments?

Tony