RE: TR3A Week 7 update (rambleish)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Week 7 update (rambleish)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:19:13 -0700
> Looking (optimistically) a couple of weeks out once the brake
> system is done, I'm assuming the next logical engine steps are
> to: check compression, rebuild carbs, replace plugs/points/wires
> and try to get it running long enough to tune the carbs. At the
> risk of asking dumb questions, is there anything else I should be
> looking for?

Just because you didn't mention it, now is a good time to evaluate the
cooling system.  Open the drain valve on the block, and if it doesn't flow
freely with only a little coaxing from a length of wire, consider tearing
the engine down to clean the water jacket.

Personally, I'd be too excited to hear it run ... why bother checking
compression, etc. ?  Let's get this thing on the road !

> I saw on a website somewhere a reference to the list's possible
> impatience with people asking questions to which the answers can
> easily be found in the owner's manual...

>From my limited experience, this is one of the most tolerant lists around.
However, there are also the list archives ... well, at least some times :^)

> considering the
> overwhelming quantity of information available ( I have a Service
> Manual, print-out of an owners manual, Piggot and Williams books,
> websites bookmarked, Parts Manual on order, etc.),

While you've already got the best (IMO), you might want to add a Haynes
workshop manual to your collection.  The Service manual is the bible, but
sometimes the Haynes explains things more clearly.  And it does have better
photos, even if many of them are of a TR4.

> Thanks to Mark

You may be too new to know ... this list (and all the other Team.Net lists)
are supported by user donations.  Nothing says "Thank You" like a $20 bill
... Easiest way is via PayPal : donations@autox.team.net

One last tip, from one who's been there ... make sure the mechanical brake
works !

Good Luck
Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, woo hoo!)
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be (waiting for J-type transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly