Re: TR8 engine fire i5IHPhgs009611

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR8 engine fire i5IHPhgs009611
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:24:51 -0400
Cc: <joflemin@nortelnetworks.com>
>> On 06/18/04 John wrote.. the engine stalled.
Before I could say "huh?" white smoke came billowing out from under the
hood.  I saw a small pocket of
flame down under the right side of the engine.  Now the car has been
towed back I'm trying to figure out what caused this.  The
fact that it was white smoke makes me think it was burning oil, not gas.
But I was only driving for a short time so would the engine get hot enough
to ignite oil?
So what's your take?  Where would you look and what would you do first?
John

 John check under the carbs first to see if you have a leak there. Dripping gas
onto the headers may cause this so may an oil leak dripping onto the headers.
Also the fact that your machine stalled may indicate a fuel problem. I'd check
that first. The white smoke and stall may also indicate a Lucas problem I'd
look there next. You also need to check the site of the burn and touch the
spot. Smell your fingers, what does it smell like gas or oil? Are you able to
restart the car or is it D.O.A.? If its D.O.A. it may also indicate Lucas at
work.
  Sorry to hear about your machine. Don't worry you'll ride again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended
recipient.  It may contain confidential information which is legally privileged
or otherwise protected by law.  If you received this e-mail in error or from
someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited
from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing or copying the e-mail.
PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS
MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.  Thank you for your cooperation.