Fuel Filter Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Filter Question
From: "dconnitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:58:47 -0400
Hello List,
I have a question regarding the glass fuel "filter bowl".
Back when I was a teenager in the late '60's, my dad, brother, and I
restored several antique cars. Practically all of these cars had fuel
filters very similar to the stock filter bowl used on Triumphs with two
exceptions. First, it was referred to as a "sediment bowl". Also, all of
those "sediment bowls" had a small, white filter element in them to trap
chunks of dirt from getting to the carburetor. As I remember, the
element was made out of some type of porous stone and had a small spring
located under it to keep it held tightly up against the inlet to the
glass bowl so fuel was forced through the element. To service the
element, you shut off the gas flow if it was a Ford (gravity fuel
supply) or if it was a fancy car, you shut off the supply from the
vacuum tank on the firewall. Then we would remove the glass bowl and
rinse the element out in fresh gasoline and replace it. Pretty simple
really, nothing to buy, and worked quite effectively as I remember.
I guess the consensus now days is to just insert a modern in-line fuel
filter in series somewhere along the fuel path.
Does anyone have any ideas why there is nothing in the bowl but the
little screen? (The old ones had that too!).
It would appear that if you just had the stock filter all it would do
was allow you to say," Oh look there goes some more trash to the carbs"!
Just curious,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS
(Almost ready to start block sanding (finally)!
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a