Toe-in Blues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Toe-in Blues
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

Full story at 11 but for now a quick question:
I've installed new tie-rod ends and fulcrum pins.
Push-pin method of alignment measurement gives a toe-out of 1 and 1/2 ".  (ie,
the front distance is 1 and 1/2" more than the back measurement).
I'm planning on "shortening" the length of the two outer "tie-rods" an equal
amount.
(I had set them up both to be 7 and 11/16" betweeen "centers" as best I could
beore I installed them.)

OK, the question is: How does one "shorten" the length of the outer tie rods?

The Haynes manual doesn't bother mentioning this - no doubt inate knowledge to
most folks.
The Kenneth Ball manual says this can be done by loosening the two lock nuts
and then rotating the tie-rod tube.
I can't for the life of me see how this would help - surely the distance
between tie-rod ends would remain the same.  It seems to me that you have to
separate one of the tie-rod ends.
I'm about to separate the outer tie-rod end but I know I'm going to split that
new rubber gaiter so I thought I would check with you guys first.

Regards, Adrian (frustrated) TS 58324 (anxious to get back on the road)