TR7 idle too fast

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR7 idle too fast
From: "Creig & Kay Houghtaling" <oldtoys@brick.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:25:20 -0500
I helped my friend rebuild his TR7 carbs.  This is the 4th Zenith rebuild
that I have done.  So I don't think I have missed anything on the rebuild.
But after we got everything back together I can't get the engine to idle
down lower than about 2 to 2.5 grand.  (High idle was not an issue before
the rebuild.)  This is what I have checked so far: 1) Idle screws backed off
completely.  2) Throttle linkage between carbs has gap between push-bar and
throttle shafts at rest.  3)  I plugged the choke inlet to make sure this
was not adding to the fuel and air.  4)  When the throttles were back at
rest (closed position) I pushed on the each carb's throttle linkage to make
sure they were fully returning.  They are returning under natural spring
pressure as far as they will go.  5) Air to both carbs is about equal.  I
didn't attempt to balance them perfectly since all I had to deal with was
fast and faster.  6) We turned the distributor over a wide range of timing.
The quality of the engine running changed, but the fast idle didn't slow
down.

I am thinking about plugging the power brake vacuum just to make sure there
isn't a bypass leak there.  Another thing I thought of is the throttle
plates.  I think I put them back together the way I took them out.  But if I
goofed, could that be allowing more air/fuel through?  What else could I
check?

Thank you in advance.

Creig Houghtaling
Member, St. Louis Triumph Owners Association, www.sltoa.org