Idler Lever

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Idler Lever
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:42:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Folks,

You may recall that I'm having trouble with the inner tie rod - it lifts off
the fulcrum pin (that is attached to the idler lever) when the steering wheel
is turned to the right.

I'm thinking that maybe what has caused this is that I have bent the idler
lever (downwards) when I first used a pickle fork to separate it.  Also, the
manual says, on re-installation of the idler body/lever, to rotate until the
lever bottoms and then unscrew one complete turn.  I cannot do this because the
lever hits the body before it can bottom out.
(Please refer to the photos here http://home.earthlink.net/~adrianjones747/
Click on More Photos link)
This would jive with it being bent.  Also, my lever does not look much like the
lever in the parts brochures or manual.

Then again, the lever is a good 3/8" thick cast iron (I presume) and I would
think that it would break before it ever bent (just a feeling).  Also, the part
of the lever that connects to the pin looks to be at an exact right angle to
the body - too much of a coincidence.  So maybe it is not bent after all.

Can anyone sort me out on this?

Regards,  Adrian TS 58324