Re: water pump woes-TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: water pump woes-TR3
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:05:17 -0400
> I put a new, reproduction water pump (the one with the grease zerk)
> in my 1960 TR3 last September.  Today, after about 1500 miles since
> installation, the center broke out of the pump pulley while driving. In
addition to the broken pulley, two
> other things appear not quite right with the water pump.  The
> bearings feel awful--sorta catching and grinding--and both the pulley
> key and the keyway in the impeller shaft are badly worn.

Bob,

Three things I can think of could be contributors or culprits:  1)  the pump
had a grease fitting, but it may never have allowed grease to the bearings
(or greasing it was forgotten altogether, easy enough); 2)  the tension on
the fan belt was waaaay too tight; or 3)  the pump was defective from the
manufacturer.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  (Body still off, rest pretty much back on!)