Re: gravel guard

To: "Doug ..." <dougm1000@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: gravel guard
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:01:25 -0700
> I am in the process of repainting a body tub that has been dipped, epoxy
> primed, and repair panels installed.
>
> I look forward to advice that any lister might have on painting gravel
guard
> (the rubber bumpy stuff) on the whole tub bottom versus just painting the
> inner fenders.  The question arises because both schemes have been
suggested
> to me.

I had that option when I repainted the TR3 earlier this year.  Although I
didn't do a frame off, I replaced almost all the sheet metal in the floors,
trunk and engine compartment.  I opted not to for the following two reasons:
1.  I didn't want to have to fight, scrap, sand and match that stuff if I
needed to make a repair;  2.  I didn't want the extra weight of that thick
goop on my already overweight, slightly modified sportscar.

In retrospect, those concerns seem pretty minor.  Unless you are going for a
110% correct concourse car, I think it would be a pretty cool modernization.
Seems like it would be far superior to goopy spray-on undercoating.

Paul Willoughby
Torrance, CA
1956 V8 TR3
1964 TR4