Overhauling TR4A Engine

Subject: Overhauling TR4A Engine
From: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:08:38 -0500
List,

I think I am going to alter my restoration plans a bit and add the
engine and gearbox back to the chassis BEFORE I put the body back on.
This seems like it would be easier to do.  Do any of you have opinions
and/or experiences about which should be added first when reassembling
the car: the drive train or the body?  Seems to me that adding the body
back to a completed chassis would be easier than trying to lift the
engine
back in with the body already on.

Also, if I go with the drive train first option, I need to start
thinking about my engine and gearbox work sooner rather than later.  I
know I need
gearbox work, however, the engine seemed to be running fine, albeit
roughly, before I started the restoration.  However, I can't help but
feel
like I have an opportunity to do some work on it while its out of the
car.  Other than cleaning it and adding hardened exhaust valve seats
(so it will run on unleaded fuel), is there another other must-do work I
should be thinking about?  Does anyone know a good supplier of parts to
convert the engine from leaded to unleaded without having the machine
the engine in any way?

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A