steering shimmy and assorted questions-rambling

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering shimmy and assorted questions-rambling
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:24:28 -0500
My experience, of which I have sent the saga before, leads me to recommend
examining all possibilities of shimmy.  Leave out nothing, and do not
replace parts as a guess.  My guessing cost a ton, and only got me well
balanced Dunlop tires, poly and nylon bushings, Pansports, and the same
shimmy.  Wheels can be bent to wobble side-to-side, and also axially.  Check
the hub also, these cars have hit curbs and who knows what else in their
lives.  And another hint, too loose a setting on front wheel bearings can
cause an excessive push back of the brake pads, leading to a moment of worry
when the 'ol Buick in front of you is stopped.
Now for my questions: -In the Haynes book, the section on chassis shows a
diagram of various points transferred to a level plane.  I assume (yike!)
that D-D is the outer corner of the swingarm mounting, and C-C is where the
inner and outer frame rails meet, but what are the others?  The manual
advises verifying A and G are equidistant from the reference plane.  How far
up should they be?  Couldn't it be that they are too far bent up, somewhat
in a modified U?  I am concerned the frame could be sagging, and too low in
the middle. The manual refers to jacking points, where are they?  Have I
overlooked that too?
-In the recommendations I have always read, running in a new cam requires 20
minutes or so.  How do the new car manufacturers do it?  Every assembly
plant I have been to they start the vehicle and drive off the line.  Have
they run the engines in earlier?  -What about cylinder bore finishing, I
have heard the term microfinishing, and assume a very smooth surface.  With
the pollution controls, oil use is not tolerated, so how do they get enough
lube without crosshatching?
Alright, I'll stop.
Dennis
'73 TR6