Re: Driveshaft U-Joints

To: <MD.FEED@nwh.org>
Subject: Re: Driveshaft U-Joints
From: "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:54:52 -0400 FILETIME=[B38FAEF0:01C465C4]
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dennis,
    I replaced the last of my u joints last month. The left side are from
NAPA and the right side are theGMB from TRF. It seems the biggest differnce
is the price.  The made in the USA NAPA were$32.00 each, but were in stock
items.  I have a small Harbor freight press which I got for this latest
round of replacements and this made the job much easier. Forget about the
"bang the yoke" method in the Bently book! I whaled the hell out of one
joint trying that method. In the end it worked, but was like being on one of
those cardo exercise TV programs for an hour.
    My guess is that if it all went back together and the movement is
smooth, but stiff its OK.  Worst that can happen is that you will need a new
u joint(s) a little prematurely. You'll hear hear the clunking before you
come to any real grief.  You did grease them, right?
Bob Rochlin
'72 TR6
Milton, MA
Cape Cod British Car Club