TR6 ignition switch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 ignition switch
From: "Paul Mitchell" <paul@cynthesys.co.za>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:27:59 +0200
List,

I am back lurking on the list after a long absence. I've been driving my
TR6 as my only car since September, but having been very reliable, it's
starting to warn me that it's getting old. To be fair, it was 30 on
Saturday!

My current problem is that it sometimes refuses to start until I poke
around under the dashboard. The problem seems to be in the ignition
switch. I took it out last night, dismantled it, cleaned it, tightened
it up, and put it back in again. The dismantling was more by accident
than design, since it fell apart and some tiny springs fell on my face
while I was poking around down there. Through trial & error & some logic
I worked out how it all fits together, and it went back in OK. The only
obvious thing that might be wrong, apart from 30 years of gunk, is that
the bumps in the plate insude the thing have little dents on, rather
like a smaller version of the one on my 1/2" spanner where I dropped it
on the positive terminal. This suggests that there may be something not
making a good contact in there.

It worked fine this morning, but tonight was back to its old tricks. The
wires at the back get very hot while the car is running (too hot to
hold), but once it has started, it seems to stay on, albeit with some
stuttering. Jiggling the wires at the back of the ignition is all that
is required to get it to start. Am I right trying to fix it, or is it
better to junk it and order a new one (at great expense and not
inconsiderable delay)?

Thanks in advance

Paul
TR6 PI, Cape Town