RE: Thermostats and temperature senders

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thermostats and temperature senders
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:15:26 -0700
> This new skirted 'stat is very interesting.  I had worked out the
> design of
> just such a 'stat about 5 years ago.  This unit is PRECISELY what I had
> designed and discussed right here on this list!

What's even more interesting is that they began to offer them just slightly
after the design was mentioned here.  I guess good ideas travel fast.

>  It even used the
> same Robert
> Shaw high flow thermostat.  I had based the design on the Shaw
> unit because I
> had one on hand, and it seemed good.  Is this a coincidence?  Maybe so.

The RS thermostat is the only one on the market today (AFAIK) that has that
nice outer ring to attach the sleeve to.

>  I wish I could find my spare thermostat housing to see how well it
> actually blocks off the bypass hole.

Like the original, not very well.

> Now, as for my temperature gauge....  It is "supposed" to read at
> 1/2 way when
> at the right temperature.  I have a new temp sender and now the
> gauge reads
> about 3/4 (it points slightly to the right of the K in "Made in
> UK"). Is there
> something I can do to get it to read 1/2 way and also read
> correctly when it
> starts to overheat?

The same problem has been remarked on the Stag list.  Best suggestion seems
to be to find a NOS sender with the right part number, instead of the "close
enough" supercession that most (all ?) vendors use now.

Adding a resistor in series with the sender has been suggested, but I don't
believe it will work properly.

There are calibration adjustments on the back of the gauge, it may be
possible to recalibrate using the new sender values.  But I don't know of
anyone who has tried this.

> Maybe
> I ought to just re-use the 38 year old original sender.

That would work too.

> The new 'stat only gradually closed.  I am not
> sure it makes
> any difference.  Maybe the more gradual action is superior....

For one thing, more gradual action means your T-gauge will rise higher
before the cooling system is working at full capacity ... which IMO is not a
good thing.

Randall