Tr3a findings and lessons learned pt1

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tr3a findings and lessons learned pt1
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:22:40 -0400
Good evening all,

Some of you may recall I have been struggling with the idle on the '3 and a
fuel starvation problem. In order to solve the fuel issues I took apart the
carbs and cleaned out crap. ( looked like silt or sand ).  Put the carbs back
together and couldn't get a good idle. Took it over to a fellow club member
who has great success with SU's and in learning a lot found the following:

- the carb pistons would not drop with a "clank" when the damper was removed.
And they "stuck" in the down position when trying to move the throttle.
Loosened the jet assembly and loosened the piston cover a little and with
plastic headed hammer lightly tapped the cover and the carb body in a couple
of places. Tightened everything back up and now everything is centered and
clanks correctly.

- the pinch spring on the connecting rod between the carbs was grabbing by
only one side and didn't make a solid connection to the back carb. Move the
throttle a little and sometimes the back would not move. All springs are now
tight and both move up and down equally.

- found out the tach is high by 200 rpm, tried to get the idle down to 800. In
fact we were trying to get is down to 600!  But she ran smooth with a nice
"putt putt". New dizzy helped a great deal there thanks "FT"

- we also examined the fuel line from the tap to the pump and it had some bad
kinks in the hard line part of it. Made up a new line and installed that.

So the result is a very nice idle. Took the car home and still noticed that if
I drive for a period over 1800rpm's the carbs seem they use more fuel then
being delivered and end up starving out. Sometimes I need to pull over and I
can refill them by using the priming pump on the fuel pump. This pump has been
rebuilt and I know it is on the cam because sometimes I have to rotate the
engine a bit to use the lever.  Not sure if this is something to note, when I
reprime the pump air bubbles show up in the fuel bowl.

Need a pt2 message

David