Re: TR4A rear end twitch

To: <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A rear end twitch
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:44:14 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jerry Van Vlack wrote:
I have what I believe has been referred to as the IRS twitch in my 1966
TR4A.
Basically when about half way through a corner and starting to exit I feel a
slight twitch coming from the rear of the car. It seems to correspond to the
whole car seeming to settle down on the rear suspension as though under
acceleration.

Jerry - it might be half-shaft splines but what you describe sounds very
like semi-trailing arm bushings that have said 'enough.' This is a pretty
common problem with IRS cars and for those of us with the much heavier Big
Six saloons, it's a common trait. A set of polyurethane bushes instead of
rubber versions ought to sort things out and I feel sure you'll find plenty
of info in the archives to find out how its done. My technique tends to
upset the purists - but its quick and I believe Bob Rochlin has used it?
Bob?
If you do change the bushings, remember not to fully tighten up until the
car's full weight is back on the wheels, otherwise it'll always look as
though it's been kicked up the a**e and the handling will be even worse.

Jonmac

---