Re: Tonneau snaps for TR4A door

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tonneau snaps for TR4A door
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:50:58 -0700
> I've got a TR4A that has been repainted.  The body man took off the
> door-mounted tonneau snaps prior to refinishing; we would like to replace
> them.  There are two methods of male snap fixing:  by screw and by rivet.
> Which is appropriate for the TR4A door?  Seems like it would be tough to
use
> the rivet type there? I looked in Piggot's book but there was not a
definitive
> photo.  Likewise, perusal of the Moss and VB catalogs did not result in
clear
> answer.  Perhaps someone with a TR4-6 can take a peek and let me know how
it's
> done?

My 1964 TR4 uses screw in snaps.

If they are covered by body filler, finding the original holes may present a
challenge.  For the tonneau to fit properly, the snaps have to be in
virtually the same spot.  As already mentioned, it would be great if you can
find the holes from inside.  However, be very careful if you punch out the
holes from the inside.  Depending on how thick the filler is, you could very
well accidentally knock out a fifty cent piece size "exit wound" from the
newly finished paint.  When going from the inside, I use the smallest drill
bit I have to locate a starter hole, then finish drilling from outside.  Of
course, with the window in place, you may not be able to get a drill inside.

Paul W.
Torrance, CA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: