Oil Gauge Tubing, fitting & Leather Washer Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Gauge Tubing, fitting & Leather Washer Question
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:54:13 -0700
Upon preparing to install the oil gauge in my TR3, I was dismayed to find the
universal plastic tubing kit I purchased would not mate up to the back of the
gauge.  The tubing kit uses a tapered fitting while the TR3 gauge uses more of
a "top hat" type of sealing system.  Is there a source for this fitting?

In the meantime, I hooked up an old black plastic tube from a TR4A oil gauge
in my old parts bin.  I suppose this will be OK, provided the tube is sound.

Question 2:  There is no gasket or leather washer in the fitting between the
tube and gauge.  Is there supposed to be one?  If so, can I substitute a tiny
o-ring?

Thanks

Paul W
Torrance, CA