Re; High altitude mixture compensation

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> i7OHTwt2018372
Subject: Re; High altitude mixture compensation
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:29:25 -0700
From: Paige, Dean
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 10:28 AM
To: 'CarlSereda@aol.com'

I also live in the Bay area, Sonoma County. I've driven my TR-6 to Tahoe
uncounted times over 15 years and never found it necessary to readjust carbs
(175 CDs). Must admit though that overall power is reduced minimally. Not a
problem for me since I don't do autocross etc, just drive the highways.

Deano

Next month Triumphest is being held at South Lake Tahoe, elevation ~6200
feet, on the way up there via Hwy 395 or 50, there are several passes higher
than that, some up to 8000 feet high. From my experience and some hearsay,
SUs, Strombergs and Zenith carburetors all need to be readjusted to maintain
decent operation at these higher altitudes. Without adjusting them, none of
these cars are going to be performing anywhere near their best without some
help.
Obviously, a mixture readjustment is the answer. However, trying to do this
on the side of the road or at a rest stop is not the easiest thing to do.
Does anyone have a short-cut rule of thumb or a guess for compensating for
each 1000 feet of altitude. For example "two flats leaner (on the SUs) for
each 100 feet", etc.
Anyone care to toss their 2 cents in on this issue, informed or otherwise!
TIA, Jim
PS. There is still room at the hotel for anyone that hasn't registered for
Triumphest as yet! See:
http://www.triumphtravelers.org/Triumphest04/Trphest04Home.php
Jim Bauder
'58 TR3