RE: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:36:59 -0700
> Or better yet, why
> not refer to page 22 of his first edition of the TR3 - 4
> competition manual
> (which we should all have committed to memory)?

Thought I did have it committed to memory but that didn't sound right, so
I've got one in my hands (signed by Kas no less).  Page 22 talks about
modifying the combustion chambers, nothing about clutches.  But on page 15
it says "The standard clutch is a very rugged heavy-duty unit and is
entirely satisfactory for all racing use.  If you are having clutch
problems, it is usually the fault of the driver, not the mechanism.  For
those who continue to have problems, a competition clutch is available as an
option."

Perhaps you're thinking of the TR4-4A comp prep manual, where page 22 talks
about how the new TR4A diaphragm clutch is entirely suitable for racing.  I
agree with that, it's lighter and lighter is always better for racing.  And
as long as it lives through a season, no racer cares how long it lasts.  But
nowhere does the book talk about any problems with the older clutch, let
alone call it unsuitable.

BTW there is a flat-out mistake on this page ... the early TR2-3 starter
will not foul on the later bellhousing.  It's the other way around, the
later TR3A-4A starter will foul on the earlier bellhousing.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: