CA Smog bill - AB2683

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: CA Smog bill - AB2683
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:06:31 -0700
I thought this was dead, but apprantly it is not only alive but It is on the
Governor's desk and one step from becomming law.  if he signs it the rolling
30 year exemption is gone, so those 75 TR6's will have to be smogged for as
long as they are on the CA roads.  But what is more scary, is what I was
told last night (no, I didn't read the bill). It makes the exemption an
administrative decision which means that some clerk could change the 30
years to 40 years and we have no recourse.

You can let Arnold know how you feel by sending an email at:

http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

This is what I sent him - for what it's worth: ( I suspect they just count
the pros and cons, and don't really read the message anyway)

"This is just a bad bill based on a biased interpretation of the data. I am
told that the bill makes future decisions on smog rules an administrative
issue. This is a real cowardly act by the legislature and it could be
devastating to those of us that treasure these older cars.

We keep our cars well maintained, they are a small minority of the cars on
the road, they are not driven very often, and forcing a smog check will have
no measurable impact on overall emissions in the state. On the other hand,
forcing enthusiasts to use original parts a stock configuration that may not
be obtainable will send many of these treasures out of state - and possibly
their owners with them.

Veto this bill!"

Bob

Check out the new British Cars Forum: