RE: TR6 Engine Rebuild

To: "Jim Barker" <jibark@att.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Engine Rebuild
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:08:04 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Jim,

I have heard of this happening before. Something to do with the fact that
the engine is wearing out in general,, piston rings, leaky valves, etc. When
you rebuilt the head, compression was raised by the new valves which forced
more blowby around the old piston rings. This created the smoke you have
noticed. I am kind of surprised your machine shop guy didn't warn you of
this when he rebuilt your head.
My bet is that you need new rings. While you have the engine torn down that
far, you might as well check the rod and main bearings too.

Best Regards,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A

Check out the new British Cars Forum: