Re: Disassembling TR3 Tranny-questions

To: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Subject: Re: Disassembling TR3 Tranny-questions
From: Bob labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:56:12 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Doug Mathews wrote:
> Hi all,
> Since I have a little time on my hands I decided to take the
> transmission course at our local Tech school and use this as an
> opportunity to learn how to rebuild my TR trannies. I have 2 TR3
> trannies that I intend to make 1 good one out of.  Each has its own set
> of problems.
>
> I'm following the Bentley manual and even before I really get to the
> interior of them, 2 problems have come up.  Can this be a foreteller of
> things to come?  Ah, the learning experience.  Anyway, back to these 2
> problems.
>
> First is with the through out shaft.  The instructions on removing this
> are simple enough..remove the wire securing the bolt that holds the
> clutch operating fork arm to the shaft and remove the bolt. Done...no
> problem. Remove the grease fitting and bolt on the side opposite the
> clutch slave cylinder side and then slide the shaft out.  Well, it does
> not slide out and my original thought was the build up on the shaft from
> years of accumulation.  The  fork itself is not sliding of the shaft,
> even with some coaxing with a hammer.  Nor will it rotate around the
> shaft.  I've tried this on both trannies and they both  have the same
> problem. So I think I may be missing something.  Anyone share some ideas
> on this problem?
>
> Second is with the removal of the speedo gear.  Again I've followed the
> instruction in the Bentley and removed the retaining bolt but the gear
> does not want to come out.  Is the gear itself screwed in?  There are
> flats on the side of the shaft protruding from the gear  box below the
> threads for the speedo cable.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Doug

Doug,

Did you remove the taper pin from the fork? And did it all come out?
More times than not, it breaks and that what may be preventing the fork
from moving. If it all came out, then there is nothing holding the fork.
You should be able to tap with a rubber hammer to loosen the fork and
allow the shaft to be removed.

If the pin broke you will most likely have to drill out enough so the
fork can be slid past the offending taper pin remainder. the rest of the
pin can be removed by drilling after you get the shaft out. The best way
is just to drill a small hole on the opposite side and punch out the
broken taper pin.

As far as the speedo gear. I believe all that is needed is to remove the
  locating screw and the whole assembly should be able to be pulled out.

Good luck,

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V