TR4A Rear Crankshaft Seal Question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4A Rear Crankshaft Seal Question
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:57:54 -0400
Sorry to resurrect this thread again but my computer with all the good
information on this died. So, here goes.
I purchased a new rear main seal kit (by Dennis Welch Motorsports) about 2
years ago from Harold's Triumph and MG parts along with just about
everything I needed to rebuild the engine. I am now just getting ready to
rebuild my TR4A motor and was reading the seal instructions today. Step 1
says to grind the crankshaft scroll area down to 2.500 +0.005/-0.000. My
reground crank (that I also purchased from Harold) measures 2.519 at the
scroll area. I remember there was some discussion that there was a preferred
scroll diameter for these seals. Can someone who has been there let me know
what I should do. I don't want to get the crank ground any more if I don't
have to. I have sent emails to Harold (good luck getting a response from
him) and Dennis Welch asking the same question. Hopefully I can get this
resolved.
I have just completed all the major bodywork and was planning on moving on
to the frame next. The more I thought about it, I decided to do the engine
next, then the frame so I can install it in the rebuilt frame before the tub
goes back on. I will be nice to attach things like the exhaust and brakes
from the top for a change.
Thanks in advance,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A