RE: 58 TR3A Flasher question

To: "Triumph TR3A" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 58 TR3A Flasher question
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 09:13:00 -0800
> Have had a flasher problem with dash indicator not working ever since I've
> owned car.

There's a good chance you have the wrong flasher installed.  There have been
many mistakes made over the years, I believe there is still a major flasher
maker who lists the wrong flasher for the TR3, which mechanically fits but
does not make the dash light work properly.  Could just be a bad flasher
too, although that's not a common failure.  It's also possible your flasher
is wired improperly, try swapping the wires between the two outer terminals.

If you haven't already, it's worth double-checking the ground wire from the
indicator lamp holder to the ground junction behind the dash.  If it was
pulled out of the junction or broken (or missing), that would cause your
symptoms.

> Finally decided to give a look. How simple could it be?
> All front/rear flashers work.
> Bulb is 12V and I tested it on 12V and it works
> Did continuity checks on bulb holder and wiring...OK
> Is this the right bulb?

Most likely.  Almost any 12v bulb should work fine, the flasher should
supply a full 12v to it.

> What does the flasher really do relative to the center terminal? (Light
> Green)

When the turn signals are off, the center terminal is open.  When the
flasher is flashing, it should intermittantly connect the center terminal to
the terminal with the green wire.  I believe the original flasher did this
when the lamps were off (that is, the dash indicator was off when the turn
signals were on and vice versa), but it doesn't necessarily matter.

> What voltage should I see? If less the 12V is that right?

You should see nearly 12v when the contacts inside the flasher are closed.
It could be very slightly less, especially if the engine isn't running, but
I'd say that if it's below 11v, that represents a problem.  Possibly not the
same problem as the indicator not lighting (you should be able to see down
to maybe 7v or so) but a definite problem.  Check the voltage on the green
wire at the flasher.

However as I wrote above, the contacts inside the flasher for the indicator
lamp are normally open, in which case you should see 0v on the wire (if the
indicator lamp is connected).

> Also: Was going to search the mailing list archives on this first but the
> link from VTR site sends me to Education.com. Doesn't make any sense to me
> as to what to do next. Anyone have a clue on this?

The VTR site likely has not been updated ... the link to the archives is at
the bottom of every message you receive from the list, including this one.

Randall