RE: Cam timing

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Cam timing
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 10:07:16 -0800
> I have a triumphtune cam that was installed by a shop whom I no
> longer fully trust.  I need to know how to check the cam timing.
> I see in the catalog that it needs to be set at 108 atdc as the
> point where the #1 intake valve is fully open.

I don't have my TT catalog handy, but that's a very difficult point to judge
accurately.  It would be better to find out where one of the valves is
supposed to open (and whether the point is "off the seat" or ".050 lift",
the latter is preferable).

> I take it I need to have the engine out of the car and the crank
> pulley off to install the degree wheel?

Pulling the engine is not required, but it's probably easier to remove the
crank pulley.  All that's really necessary is someplace to attach a degree
wheel to.  With some care and effort, you could probably even measure around
the rim of the crank pulley instead of using a degree wheel.

It's even possible to change the cam timing with the engine in the car,
although whether it's any easier than pulling the engine is debatable.  But
I'd much rather stand on my head for a few hours than have to pull the front
apron again !

Randall