Re: Replace ball joints

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Replace ball joints
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:47:07 +0100 (CET)
Cc: "John Fleming" <joflemin@nortelnetworks.com>
John Fleming said:
> Recently I noticed that the rubber part of the right ball joint on my 80
> TR8 is completely blown out.  So I need to replace it.  I understand that
> there is a special tool needed to pop it out.  Any suggestions on where
> to get one?

The tool is called a ball joint splitter and you can get one at any good
motor factor or tool shop. It's a small fork with a hinged finger on it
that can be moved by tightening a bolt. Here's your chance to avoid the
stupid mistake I made - buy a good one or you'll end up with this:

http://www.triumphspitfire.nl/brokensplitter.jpg

That thing came from Machinemart in the U.K. and cost little, but was
scrap after splitting two stubborn ball joints on my Spitfire, while I had
another two to go. The one I have now cost about $36, but I'm sure it will
last the rest of my life.

There are other tools that do the same job. They come in the form of
large, two-pronged chisels that you hammer in between the arm and the ball
joint you want to separate from it. Don't like 'em personally, much too
brutal for my taste. I like the gradual but forceful way with the hinged
splitter.

> Any tips or gotchas on doing this job?  It seems simple, but I say that a
> lot and I know better.

Not much to it, really. Undo the nut holding the tapered shaft in, attach
splitter, tighten the bolt on the splitter and *BANG*, it all comes apart.

Good luck.

Eric

--
'57 TR3a TS23315L - black