Re: Triumph support vehicle

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Triumph support vehicle
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:47:39 +0000 FILETIME=[3EAF7000:01C4C5D4]
Looks like Harold covered the subject well.

My day was a partner in a IH truck and tractor dealership from the 50' into
the late 60, when we got out of the business (couldn't make enough money as
an honest dealer.....)

As Harold said, the V-8 family of engines were very good.  They were the
same engine used in the IH highway trucks, and outweighed Chevy or Ford by
at least twice and were HUGE engines.  But, if you changed the oil and
didn't overrev them, they would last for ever.  I remember at one time we
had five "school buses" that were used by the Civil Conservation Corps types
come in for engine replacement.  They had been used a LOT off-road, all had
over 250,000 miles on them, and they all ran just fine when brought in.  We
dropped in new engines, and away they went.

I used to have a '59 pickup with a 220 cu/in 6, that almost had 300,000
miles on it before it was wrecked by someone else.  I had a '67 pickup with
the 304 for about 20 years that went a couple of hundred thousand, but the
body was falling apart.

Originally IH did "there own thing" and built a much better pickup, but in
the 60's the bean-counters started trying to make them compete with
GMC/Ford, and their bodies were JUNK!  If the pickup has been garaged where
you don't get a lot of condensation on the inside of the sheet metal and
hasn't been driven too much in the rain or salt, it should be in good shape.
  IH truck dealers do exist, and I think if you can't get parts through NAPA
or others, you can go to IH.

Because of the engine, they do make supurb tow vehicles for trailers full of
LBCs, but be aware that like LBCs, they do have rust problems.

Frank
   former cornbinder driver

Triumph support vehicle?

In a message dated 11/7/04 2:01:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,