TR7 accident description: seat belt, old tires

To: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR7 accident description: seat belt, old tires
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0700
I tried to send this note a couple months ago shortly after the
accident. I don't remember seeing it on the list. It's mostly a
warning about old tires, but it's another data point -- both were
wearing seat belts.

Both folks in this TR7 had relatively minor injuries and are
fully recovered. Still, this is a fairly specific description
of their accident and if reading it will keep you up at night, or
ruin your enjoyment of your old car(s), just replace any tires over
5 years old and stop reading now.

The first note is from the TR7 owners' son, the second from another
club member. The accident was on a rural interstate in northern
Colorado USA.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4

--
Hi All,
Here is a detailed update for those who wish to have more information.

During the return trip from the Cheyenne Frontier Days drive, the left rear
tire explosively delaminated (threw its tread all over the highway) and
caused complete loss of control of the TR7, if this had been a sidewall blow
out Dad probably could have controlled the car.  This was on I25 just south
of the rest area and just north of the Harmony road exit.  They started to
spin to the right and the left side of the car struck a reflector post.  The
car then slid sideways for about 30 feet before the left wheels dug in the
dirt and caused it to flip sideways.  They were airborne for about 25 feet
and landed on the top right side, crushing the windshield, tops of the
fenders, and door, as well as busting the trunk open.  They continued to
complete the roll back onto the wheels and slid another 30 feet to rest at
the bottom of the embankment under a tree.

Fortunately there was a Weld county ambulance on the way home from
transporting a patient to PVH.  Medical help was immediate.  Both Mom and
Dad were taken to PVH and given thorough check ups, Dad got off very lucky
with only a black eye and one cracked rib, he was discharged Sunday night.
Mom has 2 cracked ribs and a fracture in the second vertebrae.  This is the
one that provides the pivot point for your head and is one of the most
dangerous to break, it is the same one that put Chris Reeves in a wheel
chair.  She was transferred to the Neuro ward and a custom neck brace was
fitted on Monday.  She will have to wear the brace for at least 6 weeks.
Physical therapy has instructed her on how to move and to negotiate stairs
and she was released Tuesday afternoon.  Both Mom and Dad were glad to spend
the night at home Tuesday night.  Both are expected to have a full recovery.

Moral, no matter how good those old tires look, replace them if they are
over 7-10 years old especially if they have been sitting.  And if you
thought "I don't need a roll bar, I don't drive hard and fast", think
again.  This accident occurred driving in a strait line at legal highway
speeds.

Kevin Spooner

--

First, I'd like to extend my wishes to your parents for a speedy
recovery.

Paul Wigton