gas tank prep

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: gas tank prep
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:57:57 -0500
Hi,

I am in the process of restoring a TR3 gas tank I acquired on e-bay.

The tank had been repaired with a fiber-glass patch that was removed
which showed some major rust-through.

I have since removed the rusted out portion and replaced with new sheet
metal.

Anyway,

I would like to know if anyone has used the tank prep stuff Moss sells.

They are: Bio-Degradeable cleaner
          Etching Liquid
          Slushing Compound.

Are they worth the price. Are there any alternatives?

I noted that the inside of the tank seems to be painted  a rough light
gray. I always thought it was bare metal.

I would like to put some sort of protection on the "patch" i made as
well as the rest of the tank, since I did have to use heat etc. I am
sure some of the tank metal as well as the patch are bare metal now,
just realy to start rusting.

Thanks,

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A