RE: need sage advice re. front suspension re-do on TR6

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: need sage advice re. front suspension re-do on TR6
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:26:10 -0800
> I have purchased the parts to completely renew the front end and front
> brakes (including a new steering rack, shocks, springs, brakes, bushings,
> ball joints, etc).   I've never done front suspension work before
> and am a
> little leery of digging into it given how long it took me to do
> the rear.
> Would you say the front end is more difficult/challenging than the rear?
> Easier?

Greg, I've never actually done the front end on a TR6, but it's similar
enough to a TR3 that I feel qualified to comment.  IMO it's way simpler than
the IRS rear.  If you have the right tools on hand and don't take time to
paint/powdercoat the parts, you can probably do it all in a long weekend.
Just tell your family you're going to the racetrack and then sneak into the
garage.

You'll likely want a "pinch type" tie rod end separator and an LBC-type
spring compressor is an absolute must (although I made mine from parts found
at Home Depot).  You'll also need a tool to compress the rack bushings ... I
was able to make do by reversing the legs of a carpenter's wood clamp (Ok,
I've done some work on a TR6 <g>)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4854

I'm sure others will know of more "must have" tools.

Randall