RE: TR cam/lifter failure

To: "Arnold S. Gilmour" <gilmo004@mc.duke.edu>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR cam/lifter failure
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:42:09 -0800
> There was a period of time around 5-6 years ago when the
> aftermarket lifters for the tractor engines were not properly
> hardened, and that led to expensive failures for several of my
> vintage racer friends. It got to be so bad, that Ken at British
> Frame & Engine (NFI) started recommending and selling lifters
> from another engine, lifters which required slight block
> modifications in order to fit.

No block modification is required, just fitting a sleeve to the lifter bore.
The sleeve can be removed later, if you want to go back to original style
lifters.

AFAIK Ken is still selling these kits (lifters & sleeves).  When I got mine,
he said he felt they were still superior to hard original lifters, because
the hardening might be very thin on original lifters but the lifters he is
supplying are hard all the way through.  (Thin hardening sometimes breaks
through under harsh usage and cannot be easily tested for.)

Randall (also NFI, just a happy customer & friend)