re: reaming tr3 lower wishbone arm bushings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: reaming tr3 lower wishbone arm bushings
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:37:54 EST
Richard,
If your trunnion shafts are worn out of round you can buy new trunnion shafts
from RevingtonTR for about $US35 the pair.
Shafts can be hammered or pressed out. I had the machine shop press the new
shafts into the two bronze trunnion bodies using about 10 tons ($8 charge). So
instead of buying two new trunnions for about $150 I restored mine for about
$45.
Neil Revington recommends substituting the OE bushings with oilite bronze
bushes. Harder than brass. The two bronze bushes - one entering each side of
each
A-arm can be pressed in using a vice and don't require reaming (a little
cleaning up of edges is all). The bushes don't meet in the middle leaving a
trough
for the grease to make full circle and emanate. The new shafts aren't drilled
for castle nuts - a nyloc is used instead.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

I'm taking the lower wishbone arms and new bushings
for trunnion end to machine shop soon. I know the
bushings need to be reamed after being pressed into
arm, but to what spec? I am reusing the trunnions and
I have a suspision that the trunnion extensions might
be off a bit from spec tolerances. Should I just have
the machinist mic each trunnion extension and ream to
that dimension for the corresponding arm?
This is for a 1961 TR3A BTW.
Thanks!
Richard
TS75434