Rear shocks for Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear shocks for Spitfire
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:11:35 -0500
It is my understanding that one can use air shocks from a C3, '70s
vintage, Corvette on a swing spring Spit when the Spit's transverse
spring has yielded.  If this is true, can any rear shocks that fit the
Corvette also fit the Spitfire?  I am interested in changing the spring
rate and lifting up the back end of my Spit bodied GT-6 by using coil
over shocks, w/ a very low spring rate, in addition to the transverse
leaf spring (although I might end up removing the shortest leaf).  I am
running a Mazda differential very similar to what Grassroots Motorsports
Magazine did w/ their RoSpit.  THe larger Mazda diff places the Spring
mounting pad up by about 1 inch as compared to the stock Triumph - this
effectively lowers the car that much.  While a lowered car handles a bit
better at the limit, I do a bit of driving on non paved (gravel/dirt
roads) and I would like to have that inch, or more, of suspension travel
back.  I am assuming that the selection of aftermarket performance
shocks that either have or will accept a coil over spring perch will be
greater if I am looking for a Corvette application.

Temp this morning was in the low 30s - first time the top was up in
months (I have, and use, a wind blocker to make it tolerable to drive
top down for temps down to the upper 30s).  Several coworkers acted
surprised that I actually had a top for my car in that they had yet to
see it all season!