RE: electrical problems

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: electrical problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:10:02 -0800
> It's been a while since I've been on the list (new job, new e-mail).

Welcome back !

> Driving back from my son's soccer match, turn the corner, and the
> car dies. No lights no nothing.
> After a tow home, a jump the next day does nothing. Turn the key
> and nothing.
> The battery voltage is fine. Voltage to starter solenoid equals
> battery. Voltage into voltage regulator equals solenoid. But
> then, there's no voltage to anything else, as far as I can tell.
> (Except the horn) Should there be voltage into the ignition
> switch or out of it with the key turned?

Yes, of course.

> Pardon my complete cluelessness, but any help about the next step
> along the way would be greatly appreciated.

I'd check at the A1 terminal on the control box (voltage regulator), it
should also be battery voltage all the time.  If not, but you find battery
voltage on the A terminal, then the control box is failed internally.

>From the A1 terminal, there should be a brown/blue wire that runs through
the harness directly to the ignition switch.  If you find power at the A1
end but not at the other, then the wire or one of it's connections is bad.

The wiring diagram can be found in the owner's handbook, or I can send you a
copy of Dan Master's version if you'd like.

Randall