Re: no LBC: bolt extractor tips for '66 Volvo

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: no LBC: bolt extractor tips for '66 Volvo
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:31:40 -0700
Steven Newell wrote:

> ... I then broke off the bottom two bolts in the block. I have a
> pretty clear shot at the spot with about 6" of space in front of the
> broken bolts.

Several excellent methods suggested, the good news is that these may
come out pretty easily since they did not break as a result of binding
while you were trying to remove them (the usual way we break things) but
more just ripped apart.  I once had a similar (non-LBC) break on a head
bolt and was able to get it out by just engaging the jagged end of the
broken bolt into it's other half deep inside the block -- felt pretty
lucky that day.  A cold chisel is probably too large to get in there but
I would be tempted to try to move them with something that applies
modest force (if there is any edge/lip/jagged bit to get a bite on).
The other methods would still be available and you might get lucky too.

Geo Hahn