Port matching and Falcon Group 44 headers

To: 6-Pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Port matching and Falcon Group 44 headers
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:00:07 -0500
The round tubes on the Falcon Group 44 SS headers are welded to a head
mounting flange. The head mounting flange has rectangular ports which
appear to match the exhaust ports in the head. My plan is to port match
these rectangular flange ports with the head ports.

The question...

I've noticed that the edges of the round pipes infringe on the corners
of the rectangular flange ports.  That is to say, the diameter of the
pipes is slightly smaller than the diagonal measure of the rectangular
flange ports. Based on the size/thickness of the weld that attaches the
pipes to the flange, and which is on the external side of the pipes, it
would appear that I could safely file away this small portion of the
round pipe that infringes on the corners of the rectangular flange
ports. This is a small infringement, but none-the-less, in the very
corners, the weld material is visible, so I would have filed through the
thickness of the pipe and would be filing into the weld at that point.

Should I do this or am I worried about nothing? That is, will doing this
  provide any noticeable flow improvement for a street engine? It would
seem to me that even small obstructions would/could lead to a
significant amount of turbulence, and that it should be done.

Thanks,

Don Malling