Kastner's Exhaust manifold Dowel Pinning instructions.

To: 6-Pack <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Kastner's Exhaust manifold Dowel Pinning instructions.
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:45:42 -0500
Some questions on page 96 of Kastner's manual -- Exhaust manifold/header
dowel pinning.

Looks like there are roll pins to positively register the intake
manifold but nothing except the mounting bolts to register the position
of the exhaust manifold/headers. I don't have any bolts in hand so I
can't check the "sloppiness" of the Falcon Group 44 header mounting
holes/bolts.  I assume if the mounting holes/bolts are not "sloppy"
there is no point in dowel pinning the exhaust header to the head.

Anyway, these headers come in two sections. One for the front three
cylinders and another for the rear three, so I'd need 4 pinning holes.

Kastner says to mount the exhaust manifold/header and with an 1/8" bit,
drill through the mounting flange and about 1/8" into the head.

Question.... Is there any danger of drilling into the water jacket? If
so, are there some places that are safer than others? I could take a
photo of exhaust ports on the head and send it if that would help
someone describe where I should or should not drill.

Another question -- Is dowel pinning of any value -- that is, are the
tolerances of exhaust manifold/header bolts and holes usually
sufficiently tight enough to make dowel pinning unnecessary?

Thanks,

Don Malling