TR4 Door Hinge

To: <jhassall@blacksburg.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 Door Hinge
From: "dconnitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:00:17 -0500
Hi Jim,
I went through this very same problem on my TR4A. If you go to my
website http://home.fuse.net and go to the bodywork section, you can see
how I fixed them in the Door Hinge Repair section.

What I found was that both sets of hinges had their pins rusted solid in
the bores. This had forced the hinge to actually rotate around the
flanges that were originally designed to hold the pin from rotating.

Basically, you have to use a 1/8" thick cutoff wheel to cut the old pin
between the two hinge halves. Then use a MAPP torch to heat the "barrel"
part of the hinge and pound out the frozen pin. This will take a few
rounds with the torch and a hammer and punch. Clean up both pieces. Get
yourself a piece of 5/16" tool steel for the new hinge pins. I picked up
a piece of 4140 drill rod at The Metal Supermarket which is online.
There is a link to them on my website. Anyway, I cut a piece of that for
the hinge pins and welded them on one end. A little epoxy primer and
they were done.

If you don't have a welder, I will make you a deal.. Get about 1' of
drill rod and send it to me with your old hinges and I will weld in the
new rod. It would be good if you sweat and pound out the old hinge from
your hinges before you send them. I can take it from there and spray
them with epoxy primer. Just pay for the postage.
Anyway, take a look at my site and see what you think.

Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
Cincinnati, OH
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a