Oil weight selection - 58 TR3A

To: "Triumph TR3A" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil weight selection - 58 TR3A
From: "Francis P. Gowash" <fpgowash@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:49:59 -0500
Hi All,
Since acquiring my TR in June I have done a few things including installing
new crankshaft bearings. The mains inspected OK at the time. I haven't
driven much... less then 200 miles as I worked on various projects including
my 8-5 job. There appears to be start up noise, possibly due to marginal oil
flow to the main bearings when cold. This pretty much disappears after 10-15
seconds. I changed the oil to 15W/40 and don't know what the previous owner
used.

I was thinking about giving the Castrol GTX START UP a shot since it
advertises as being specially formulated to protect on starting. The
available weights are 5W/30, 10W/30. I was wondering if anyone had any
experience with this and if this special oil type might be worth trying. Any
downside to this?

It snowed here last night so I would like to try it out before putting
things up for the winter.

Thanks, Fran

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]