Re: TR5 Stainless Steel Suspension Bolts and Wing Beading Strips http://

To: mike.tr5@virgin.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR5 Stainless Steel Suspension Bolts and Wing Beading Strips http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:33:51 -0600
>Having recently restored a 1971 TR6 Damson with Magnolia interior I am now
>getting my teeth into a 1968 TR5.
>It will be a full chassis up resoration just like the TR6.
>Are stainless steel bolts strong enough to rebuild the suspension in
>particular
>the large pivot bolt on the trunnion to lower wishbone?

In general, I stick to Grade 5 bolts for automotive suspensions.  I have
Grade 8 bolts in the upper inboard front on the Lotus since Caterpiller was
the only place I could get bolts that long.

I would not put garden-variety stainless bolts in an automotive suspention.
 Perhaps some sort of aircraft-specification stainless.  But I see no
reason to depart from Grade 5.

>Also should the wing/fender top beading strips be kept stainless or should
>they be painted?

I am emphatically not a TR5 expert, but I think they should be stainless.

Phil Ethier