RE: Ball joint questions

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Ball joint questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:56:43 -0800
> I recently bought a set of ball joints for my TR8 from victoria british.
> They came with circlips in plastic bags helpfully printed with
> the following
> instructions:
>
> "INSIDE THE BAG ARE ACCESSARIES OF THE PRODUCT.  IF THE PRODUCT
> NEED GREASE,
> MUST BE FULL THE GREASE AT FRIST.  IF THE GREASE NOT BE FULLED, MAY REDUCE
> THE DURABILITY OF THE PRODUCT.  IF THE PRODUCT IS NO GREASE FITTING, THE
> GREASE IS FULLED WHILE PRODUCING AT WORK, CAN BE USE WITHOUT RESTRAINT."
>
> I've dealt with a few confused doc writers in the past so I'm somewhat
> familiar with mangled instructions.  My guess is that they're
> trying to tell
> me to fill it up with grease if it has a grease fitting,
> otherwise you don't
> need to.  Does that sound right?

Sounds right to me.

> Next question: the ones on the car have a castellated nut on top with a
> split pin thru the bolt.  The new ones from VB only have a nut
> with a nylon
> washer built inside and no hole for the split pin thru the bolt.  Is this
> safe to use?

Should be fine.  The same thing has happened with TR3 lower trunnions, and
so far mine have stayed put.

Note that nylon insert locking nuts (aka Nylocs) are only good for a limited
number of remove/install cycles and should be replaced at least occasionally
if you remove them.  Since even one cycle will weaken the locking action, I
prefer to replace them every time in critical applications like this.

As an alternative, if you have a drill press, it's not too hard to thread a
pair of regular nuts onto the threads, and then drill through one of them to
put a hole in the threaded shank for a castellated nut.  Appropriate nuts
can be found at places like McMaster-Carr.

Randall