Non-LBC, '87 Volvo 740 Idle Problem

To: "TriumphTeam" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Non-LBC, '87 Volvo 740 Idle Problem
From: "Mark Meany" <mark@basecamp.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:33:28 -0500
Sorry for the wasted bandwidth agin', folks, but this list is my only source
for auto brain power.

Bought subject car recently & it only has 120K on it's original 4 cylinder
fuel injected engine. It ran rough at idle when I got it & so, being unsure
of its tune-up history, replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, & all filters. It
runs like a champ but still has a rough idle - to the point where it almost
stalls with the tranny in drive and night-time accessories on.. The
adjustment screw for idle speed has little effect. Directing propane from my
torch all round the intake manifold & any hose that led to it & the throttle
body also had no effect (although the constantly running fan probably blew
the propane away anyway...). Disconnecting the hose from the crankcase
breather dropped the RPM's a bit. I'm starting to run out of ideas but
before I bring it to someone who does this for a living, I thought I'd check
to see if there's any shade tree Volvo enthusiasts out there. I'm on digest
so respond directly to me.

Thanks loads,

Mark Meany
TR4A CTC62486 O