Re: Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #2084

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, wtrrtw@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #2084
From: ScharfR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:51:37 EST
In a message dated 11/28/2004 10:22:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-triumphs@autox.team.net writes:

> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:13:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: McRuss <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
> Subject: TR4 radio
>
> I'm not interested in mounting a radio but I am replacing the dash support
> with the proper support (had a TR4A support) and my factory manual and the
> various catalogs are confusing.  The manual shows a drawing similar to the
> catalogs and calls the piece between the facia and the support a "facia
>board."
> An accompaning photo shows a different piece altogether and no name.  The
>Moss
> catalog calls the piece a "Bracket, lower dash."  Whatever it is called, I
> wonder if it had a hole in it for the radio (I don't have the Bracket, lower
> dash, yet) and if there were two different Brackets.  I don't think either of
> my prior 4s had a radio.  Help would be appreciated.

There were at least two different configurations for the piece you reference,
probably a third which I've only seen in the "Original Triumph TR..." books
by Piggot.  The two with which I am familiar are shown in separate eBay
auctions running currently (at least as of this writing). Check out:

       o    4507030594 -- an example for radio installation
             (and with a slightly widened opening that now
             encroaches on the right hand hole for the on/off
             and volume knob shaft)
       o    4506426951 -- an example for installing additional
             switches, which could also be modified to accommodate
             a radio.

The first example protrudes slightly into the cockpit area; the second
recesses inward when installed. Hope that makes sense. These are both made of
very
substantial steel, over 2 mm thick.  In addition to their radio or accessory
mounting function, they have a substantial bracing effect as they bridge
between
console and dashboard. I was really surprised at the reduction in cowl shake
when I installed the bracket and bolted everything in snuggly.

And in the interests of full disclosure, the second item is my auction.  If
you need an image of the first version, in the installed position, contact me
off list.

Bob Sharp
Michigan
64-ish TR4