RE: What happens if I don't use a lead additive?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: What happens if I don't use a lead additive?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:59:11 -0800
> Admittedly,
> while not a TR,  I had to pull the head on my Datsun 2000
> roadster last year
> due to a recessed valve seat (#4 cylinder).  Thing was, I was pretty
> consistent at using Lead Substitute (Gunk, I think),

There was a study in the UK on lead substitute effectiveness a few years
back.  As I recall, they found several of them to be worthless.

Redline offers a compound that they claim increases valve life even with
hardened valve seats.  Not readily available in stores, at least I couldn't
find it, but I see there's someone selling it on eBay for about 1/10 what I
was paying for special order at the local speed shop.  With each bottle
treating 120 gallons, seems like a good deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4508238580

And while I wouldn't call my experiences typical, it did seem to help as
long as I used it religiously in every tankful.

Randall