RE: GPS Tracking your lbc

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: GPS Tracking your lbc
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:41:10 -0800
> Read in a local paper an article promoting a tracking device offered by
> Trimble Trim Trac. Price US$ 160.00 - to be best bang for the Buck
> Their web site www.trimtrac.com
>
> Easy to use ?????

As I read the web site, TrimTrac is not intended for direct retail sale.
Instead, Trimble is selling it to "system integrators and service
providers", IOW people who can add the necessary servers and application
software to make use of the information.

The TrimTrac itself is likely trivial to use ... my guess is that there is
nothing at all required once it's initially setup, beyond changing batteries
every few months (unless it's wired into your car battery).  But it's
useless without the application software (and server) that Trimble does not
provide.  How easy the overall system will be to use is pretty much up to
the service provider and their software.

I'll also hazard a guess that devices like this will fall in price over the
next year or so.  The US govt has mandated that GPS capability be added to
all new cell phones, so even the cheapest cell phone will require only a
firmware change to offer the capabilities of the TrimTrac (or better, it's
signal sensitivity doesn't look all that good to me while some of my friends
are working on some extremely sensitive GPS receivers for cell phone
applications).

Randall